ROUND POLE FRAMING & Connecting Techniques at Strawbale Studio
There are many special things about round pole framing, especially a sense of “connection” to the entire process ~ from felling the tree, de-barking, planning and making notches, carving pins and assembling the framing. Because of the irregularity of each piece of wood, there is also a need for “understanding” the properties of the wood, and how to have these irregular pieces come together, “flat to flat”, with strong, structural joints. Quite a process. I love it. I can also see why folks went to flattening the whole timber ( timber framing) and invented “dimensional lumber” that is machine milled to a specific size, like 2×4″. Enjoy the slide show and the many resources below the slideshow to connect you with this process. The basics are taught during internships and also offered to the public 1-2 day-long classes. Check our Calendar, apply for an internship, or contact Deanne if you would like to attend a session.
Tara and Tyler hosted a Round Pole Framing workshop at there Vermont property
Past Round Pole Framing Classes at Strawbale Studio
Blog on Round Pole Workshop by Kirsten Pope.
Lashing . How to tie poles together with rope, cording or rawhide!
Girlscouts. Sketch, description, video. Also pics of projects like “outdoor kitchen”.
- Ladder Lashing . Using a rope and no notching.
- Japanese Lashing . Very cool.
- Lashed Tower Construction .
- Pioneering Knots and Lashings .
- Knot videos .
- Knot making videos .
- Cinch knot for retying strawbales . Animated video.
- Round Pole construction data from Canada
- Round Wood Project.org
- Round Pole Standards and Issues
- Small Farming projects.
- Woodland Home framing info .
- Pioneering Skills . A collection of websites!
- Fun with Spars . Projects with ropes, lashing and round poles . M. Holmes.
- Bushcraft . Shelters and Thatching !
- Wood construction – Dutch
NATURAL BUILDING MATERIALS AND RESOURCE LINKS