3 Program Options at Strawbale Studio, outside Oxford, Michigan, USA:
Intern, 1/2 Pay Worktrade, Wwoofer. All 3 Programs include room & board, classes & materials, plus sharing of household activities such as cooking & cleaning.
- Internship = Focus on the Projects. $950 or $850 prepaid 1 month in advance.
- 1/2 Pay Worktrade = 10 hours Worktrade per week toward upkeep (office, grounds, gardens, based on participants skills & needs of Strawbale Studio). The rest of the time, participate in the Internship & all classes. Cost per month: $475 or $425 prepaid 1 month in advance.
- Wwoofer = 20 hours Worktrade per week toward maintenance of gardens, grounds, office. The rest of the time participate in the Internship & all classes. No money exchanged.
WORK -TRADE 2017
- Office – Data Entry – names & contact information to a Main List. Publicity, email & phone messages.
- Grounds – wood harvesting, cutting, splitting. Mowing / scything lawns.
- Beauty & Order around Red Shed, Kids Cottage, Hobbit Sauna, Open Pole Barn.
- Fix It / Make It – Chairs in Red shed and Strawbale studio. More wood Storage in Red Shed. Close in hole in Red Shed roof. Garden Cart bicycle wheel and floor replacement.
- Insta Cob – A product we make to sell; bags of earthen Cob mix with project ideas.
- Gardens – prepare, maintain gardens and permaculture areas. Hops plant replaces bittersweet on Courtyard Arbor.
- Strawbale Studio – Finish Floor, Oil on Benches, Oil logs, Restore surfaces: Earth Plaster on exterior, details on interior. Fix interior roof. Finish lower earthen floor. Decide what to do with the Compost Furnace system. Contact Derek at WMU.
- Hobbit Sauna – Exterior: Finish Living Roof details, finish Earth Plasters and sculptures, Earth Floors, Wood Rounds Floor, make wooden benches for sauna, wooden door. Frame in all windows & openings.
- Identity Cabin – Strawbale & Hybrid Wall Systems, Shake Roof on East, Window Wall on South – find, buy, frame, seal windows. Flooring – replace as needed. Screens – door and roll-up side walls on East Porch. Possible: Loft, Ladder, Band Shell from paper mache.
- Kids Cabin – Rocket Stove Mass Heater – complete construction of combustion unit, bench, and exhaust pipes. Insulate exterior pipe. Finish Plasters, Earthen Floor & floor insulation.Site Drainage & Beauty. Stone Wall- finish stonework & insulation. Install new windows made by Gene.
- Spiral Chamber: Jack up E side – repair foundation, fix plasters as necessary. Re-grade for water flow away from building.
- Gardens – Agro Forest areas – mulch & label Permaculture Plants. Hay Bale Gardening – get bale, place & plant them in North Garden. Green House – add compost, plant. Possibly Ginger, Tumeric, other TBD. Plan Winter Greenhouse – plants & schedule. Option for Aug / Sept – a workshop on Winter Greenhouses with Jared.
- Design Charettes for West Wing Loft and Wood heat to main house.
- Compost Furnace System – dismantle exterior parts. Tarp the pile, create a garden with the soil. Explore what to do with antifreeze and interior pump area.
- Woodshed – Finish living roof details & add support posts.
- Hops Trellis – add beautiful forages poles for support, bench construction.
- A-Frame Woodshed by SBS – finish Thatching.