Aug 7 – 13th, 2016
This is a one week immersion in living and learning in community. You will get a chance to learn the basics of a natural building skills on existing building and demonstration stations. This course will include hand-on training as well as classroom presentations on essential building considerations.
HANDS-ON TRAINING includes:
* earth plasters, finish plaster, earth floors, & sculpting: learn how to find, identify, harvest, mix and apply plasters in various setting.
* round poles framing: how to harvest, prepare, notch & lash round poles for building small structures.
* strawbale walls systems and building walls with cob
* thatching with phragmite reed grass. How to design a thatched roof. Demonstration, some hands-on.
This is an exceptional opportunity to get training in such a wide range of skills, in an environment that includes Rocket Stoves, Earth Ovens & more.
CLASSROOM PRESENTATIONS (shade-tree sessions) and on-site examples include:
* Living Roof Systems
* Earth Oven & Rocket Stoves
* Site & Building Design
* Foundation & Drainage essentials.
* Code and Officials. Chris McClellan will be skyped in for a classroom session
The setting is the lovely Strawbale Studio land, wooded and rural, 1 hour north of Detroit Michigan. There will be a limit of 15 participants.
Facilities: Camping on the land is part of the course cost, and some indoor spaces may be available for a fee.
Vegetarian food will provide a healthy and tasty aspect to each day. Participants are asked to contribute 1 hour a day toward infrastructure, such as food prep, etc.
Fee $650 paid in full by July 12th, and $750 thereafter. Discounts for groups. Several 1/2 pay Worktrade positions available. Registration
Questions / contact Deanne 248 496 4088 cell/ text or ecoartdb at gmail.com
Click here for an example of a 2015 Intensive from last year. We had a great time and a lot of skills were learned !