Thatching & Reed Collection – the Basics ! Feb 29 & March 1, 2020
9:30a to 5:00p Saturday & Sunday
Yes ! Thatching in Michigan ! Explore this beautiful, ecological, insulative & long-lasting roof system during this 2-day workshop. The Strawbale Studio roof was thatched before the turn of the century …in 1998 …and is still sound & beautiful.
Instructor: Deanne Bednar
SATURDAY, February 29, 2020 9:30a to 5:00p Learn the basics of thatching a roof,
- Tour : See 3 thatched buildings on-site !
- Demo & Hands-on Thatching. Try your hand at thatching on a small, indoor frame.
- Lecture Class: Learn design and construction principles of creating a thatched roof. Learn when to harvest, how to store reed and when to apply the thatch.
- Overnight accommodations available*.
SUNDAY, March 3, 2020 9:30a to 5:00p Hands-on reed harvesting & Videos
- Harvest & bundle reed grass. We will visit a near-by field, learn to identify suitable reed and using hand-tools, experience reed collection, bundling the reed !
- Transport & Store Reed in a Tipi. Learn techniques of safely transporting & storing for later use.
- View & discuss 2 Thatching Videos – from UK & Denmark – in the cozy main house at Strawbale Studio.
- $95 Early Bird Discount by Jan 1 or $120 thereafter.
- Bring a Friend Discount of -$20/person.
- Three 1/2 Pay Scholarships available. $55
- Class limited to 15.
- *Overnight & supper/breakfast available for $15.
Payment information at Registration link
- FOOD Bring a BAG LUNCH for Saturday and Sunday — and if you are staying overnight, some extra food to share (anything will do). We will make supper together, and breakfast will be provided.
- CLOTHING Dress WARMLY : boots (preferably loose & waterproof) Sox – preferably wool or insulated, ski pants or a few layers of sweat pants (jeans are COLD). Hats, some work gloves. We will be both indoors & outdoors.
- OTHER Suggested: Bring a water bottle and perhaps a thermos for a warm drink. Snack for yourself or to share, if you wish. Camera, notebook, print out the Thatching Google doc to bring with you if you wish. LABEL your items 🙂
- OVERNIGHT option. If staying overnight, bring bedding if you can. If not we have sleeping bags, etc. There are some beds and cots, and couches, the floor! If staying overnight, Bring some extra food to share for supper and Sunday if you can. We can cook together.
Check out this Blog on a previous Thatching Workshop !.