Thatching & Reed Collection – the Basics ! January 11 & 12, 2020
Yes ! Thatching in Michigan ! Explore this beautiful, ecological, insulative & long-lasting roof system. The Strawbale Studio roof was thatched before the turn of the century …in 1998 …and is still sound & beautiful.
Instructor: Deanne Bednar
SATURDAY, JANUARY 11, 2020 9:30a to 5:00p Learn the basics of thatching a roof,
- Tour : See 3 thatched buildings on-site !
- Lecture Class: Learn design and construction principles of creating a thatched roof. Learn when to harvest, how to store reed and when to apply the thatch.
- Demo & Hands-on Thatching. Try your hand at thatching on a small, indoor frame.
SUNDAY, JANUARY 12, 2020 9:30a to 5:00p Hands-on reed harvesting & Videos
- Harvest & bundle reed grass. We will visit a near-by field, learn to identify suitable reed and using hand-tools, experience reed collection, bundling the reed !
- Transport & Store Reed in a Tipi. Learn techniques of safely transporting & storing for later use.
- View & discuss 2 Thatching Videos – from UK & Denmark – in the cozy main house at Strawbale Studio.
REGISTRATION (Eventbrite link to come) email Deanne if interested in workshop)
- $90 Early Bird Discount by Jan 1 or $120 thereafter.
- Bring a Friend Discount of $20/person.
- Some 1/2 Pay Scholarships available.
- Class limited to 15.
- Overnight & supper/breakfast available for $15. Details at Registration link (coming soon) Contact Deanne in the meantime, if interested. !
- FOOD Bring a BAG LUNCH for Saturday and Sunday — and if you are staying overnight, some extra food to share (anything will do). We will make supper together, and breakfast will be provided.
- CLOTHING Dress WARMLY : loose boots, wool or insulated sox if you have them, ski pants or a few layers of sweat pants (jeans are COLD). Hats, some work gloves. We will be both indoors & outdoors.
- OTHER Suggested: Bring a water bottle and perhaps a thermos for a warm drink. Camera, notebook, print out the Thatching Google doc to bring with you if you wish. LABEL your items 🙂
- OVERNIGHT option. If staying overnight, bring bedding if you can. If not we have sleeping bags, etc. There are some beds and cots, and couches, the floor! If staying overnight, Bring some extra food to share for supper and Sunday if you can. We can cook together.
Check out this Blog on a previous Thatching Workshop !.