2023 WINTERNSHIP JANUARY 5 – FEBRUARY 5
During this unique and experiential month-long program participants will be living, learning and working together ~ while learning a wide range of skills!
* Natural Building & Sustainability Classes and Hands-on.
* Enrichment Activities such as spoon-making and fermenting.
* Healthy, tasty meals
* A connection with nature & each other.
- Jan 5- Feb 5, 2023 WINTERNSHIP Outline. 1 month on-site learning experience includes 2-Day Hands-on workshops for Intern & the public:.
- Jan 7 & 8, 2023 EARTH PLASTER & SCULPTING 2-Day Wksp
- Jan 14 & 15, 2023 ROUND POLE Framing 2-Day Workshop
- Jan 21 & 22, 2023 THATCHED ROOF 2-Day Workshop
- Jan 28 & 29, 2023 FIRE! ROCKET STOVE & EARTH OVEN
“Best. Experience. Ever.” Winternship 2016 Doug Reith
You will have a printed folder of handouts, and access to online copies for our classes on foundations, round pole framing, stoves, earth plasters and more.
On this beautiful rural wooded land 1 hour North of Detroit. Six miles outside a lovely small town, surrounded by farms, forests and meadows. Within 6 miles of the Strawbale Studio there are some very nice outdoor opportunities: Bald Mountain Recreation Center, The Seven Ponds Recreation Center and the Rails to Trails bike path system, connecting several small towns. (There is a bike available to use). Two swimming lakes and a series of connected lakes to explore by canoe.
EXPERIENCE LIVING SKILLS
Natural Buildings on site ~ Strawbale Studio, Kids Cottage, Hobbit Sauna, Retreat Cabin,
Heat Devices ~ Rocket Stove Heated Bench, Rumford Fireplace Outdoor Rocket Stove Cooker. Hay Box Cooker, Compost Furnace, Hobbit Sauna ! Solar Cooker (use in warm weather only)
Natural & Local Foods ~ Fermenting Sauerkraut and injira sourdough wraps. Opt: make hickory nut milk, acorn meal.
Composting ~ 4 types. Warm Weather Internships: Foraging, Shitake Log Fruiting & Harvest.
Enrichment ~ NVC (Non-Violent Communication) / Compassionate Communication / Reflective Listening. Visit East River Farm. Guest Teacher: Jared Bogdonov-Hannah or Matthew McCoul on nutrient cycles on-site (biochar, wood ash, 3 types Compost, biomass, other) & integrating permaculture principles into our day/study.
Day-off options: Do your own thing. Perhaps …. Read, or Whittle & spoon carve. Study / design / model-making. Small round pole model. Finish Worktrade hours. Local Fieldtrip: 7 ponds Nature Center, Bald Mountain Recreation area, Detroit, etc. Bonfire, hang out in Strawbale Studio, sauna. Resturants: White Horse Inn. Dryden. Victorias, Oxford. Sagebrush Cantena, Lake Orion. 20 Front Street. Kombucha & music venue.
Browse the Resource Library
Extensive books selection on Strawbale, Cob, Thatching, Herbs & Foraging, and much more. Earth Plaster / Magwood. Videos on sustainability & natural building ~ such as Ben Law – Round Pole Framing. Strawbale Solution, Mud, Hands – A House. Alone in the Wilderness. Building Codes for a Small Planet. Simondale Low Impact Home for Living in the Future. Cold Day: SBS slideshow Round Pole Movie trailer.
2 Program Options: Intern, with some1/2 Pay Worktrade available. Woofing not available this intensive month.
All Programs include room & board, classes & materials, plus sharing of household activities such as cooking & cleaning.
- Intern = Focus on the Projects. Cost per month $950 or $850 prepaid 1 month in advance.
- 1/2 Pay Worktrade = Students participate in the Internship & all classes. In addition, 1/2 Pay Worktrade students contribute 10 hours Worktrade per week toward upkeep (office, grounds, gardens, based on participants skills & needs of Strawbale Studio). Cost per month: $475 or $425 prepaid 1 month in advance.
HOW TO APPLY
Step 1 Look over the Application Form and Expectations, below, then
Step 2 Fill out the Application (see below) or call Deanne to ask questions
Step 3 When your application is received, your references will be contacted. Deanne will get back with you. If accepted into the program….
Step 4 After acceptance, PAYMENT can be made by Paypal / or check / money order to PO Box 733, Oxford, MI 48371 248 496 4088
Payment PAYPAL~ Intern $850 by Dec 5, 2022 or $950 thereafter. 1/2 Pay Worktrade Intern $425 by Dec 5 or $475 thereafter. Click the Buy Now* button. * For CLARITY include your name(s), phone, city + the name & date of the event you want to attend,
*If the button doesn’t work, open your own paypal account & send payment to email@example.com.
- INTERNSHIP OUTLINE of ACTIVITIES
- INTERNSHIP – STEPS FOR APPLYING
- Brief APPLICATION FORM
- EXPECTATIONS for living and working together. READ OVER – see if it is a fit!
- DETAILS on Worktrade & Wwoofing
- WHAT PAST INTERNS HAVE TO SAY
- LOGISTICS – how to get here by car, bus, train or plane
- ARCHIVES of Projects & Worktrade
- PHOTOS & DESCRIPTION of past years’ activities !
- Example month: Outline of July 2019 Internship
- VIDEOS about Strawbale Studio
Main Instructor & Coordinator, Deanne Bednar, is the illustrator of the Hand-Sculpted House & the Natural Plaster Book, and has 20 years of experience in natural building. Background: Art & Sustainable Futures teacher at the middle school level. Loves to forage, use materials directly from nature in an artful and practical way !
See Strawbale Studio Year-in-Review Reports & Photos! 2020, 2019, 2018 & more. (2021 & 2022 are under construction) 2014 Winternship Blog by Kirsten Pope,Wintern 2015 Winternship Blog by Nana Ferdnance 2015 Winternship Outline & Schedule 2016 Winternship Blog by Doug Reith 2016 Winternship Activities List Winternship 2016: Thatching Winternship 2016: Week 1 2018 Outline of Winternship 2020 WINTERNSHIP OUTLINE Pictures below are from previous years’ adventures.