- This event has passed.
2020 WINTERNSHIP JANUARY 6 – FEBRUARY 6
During this unique and experiential month together you will learn many skills in
Natural Building, Sustainable Living and Community !
The program will include the following weekend workshops for intern and the public:
- Jan 11 & 12 ROOF THATCHING with local Reed. 2 Day Workshop.
- Jan 18 & 19 ROUND POLE FRAMING ~ the Basics. 2 Day Wkshop.
- Jan 25 & 26 FIRE ! ROCKET STOVE & EARTH OVEN Workshops.
- Feb 1 & 2 EARTH PLASTER & SCULPTING 2 Day Workshop.
“Best. Experience. Ever.” Winternship 2016 Doug Reith
Participants will be living, learning and working together during this one-month Program.
Natural Building & Sustainability Classes/Activities,
Enrichment Activities: spoon-making, fermenting, & more.
Healthy, tasty meals.
Other Community Events
Jan 10 Permaculture Meetup,
- Jan 21 Full Moon Potluck & Bonfire.
You will have a printed folder of handouts, and access to online copies for our classes on foundations, round pole framing, stoves, earth plasters and more.
2018 Outline of Winternship
On this beautiful rural wooded land 1 hour North of Detroit. Six miles outside a lovely small town, surrounded by farms, forests and meadows. Within 6 miles of the Strawbale Studio there are some very nice outdoor opportunities: Bald Mountain Recreation Center, The Seven Ponds Recreation Center and the Rails to Trails bike path system, connecting several small towns. (There is a bike available to use). Two swimming lakes and a series of connected lakes to explore by canoe.
2 Program Options: Intern, 1/2 Pay Worktrade. Woofing not available this intensive month.
All Programs include room & board, classes & materials, plus sharing of household activities such as cooking & cleaning.
- Intern = Focus on the Projects. Cost per month $950 or $850 prepaid 1 month in advance.
- 1/2 Pay Worktrade = 10 hours Worktrade per week toward upkeep (office, grounds, gardens, based on participants skills & needs of Strawbale Studio). The rest of the time, participate in the Internship & all classes. Cost per month: $475 or $425 prepaid 1 month in advance.
Step 1 Look over the Application Form and Expectations, below, then
Step 2 Fill out the Application (see below) or call Deanne to ask questions
Step 3 When your application is received, your references will be contacted. Deanne will get back with you. If accepted into the program….
Step 4 Make a payment through Eventbrite or
* For CLARITY include your name(s), phone, city + the name & date of the event you want to attend, .
*If the button doesn’t work, open your own paypal account & send payment to email@example.com.
or b) a CHECK or MONEY ORDER made out to “Strawbale Studio” *
For CLARITY include your name(s), phone, city + the name & date of the event you want to attend
Send to Deanne Bednar, 2691 Noble Rd. Oxford, MI 48370 248 236 5432
or c) ) Pay through Eventbrite
You can share this event on Facebook
CONTACT: Call, text or email Deanne 248 236 5432 firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate interest or ask questions. You can fill out the brief application before or after talking to Deanne.
- Brief APPLICATION FORM
- EXPECTATIONS for living and working together. READ OVER – see if it is a fit!
- DETAILS on Worktrade & Wwoofing
- WHAT PAST INTERNS HAVE TO SAY
- LOGISTICS – how to get here by car, bus, train or plane
- 2016 ARCHIVE of Projects & Worktrade
Main Instructor & Coordinator, Deanne Bednar, is the illustrator of the Hand-Sculpted House & the Natural Plaster Book, and has 20 years of experience in natural building. Background: Art & Sustainable Futures teacher at the middle school level. Loves to forage, use materials directly from nature in an artful and practical way !
Other instructors sometimes drop in: Micah Lindquist, our round pole and spoon carving teacher, Jim the Timberframer, a local guy who can show us his barn and tools. Jared Bogdonov-Hanna a Permaculture Teacher who has designed some of the gardens on site. Rick McAvinchy Forester & Wildlife Biologist. Chris McClellan, “uncle mud”….. Ernie & Erica, rocket-stovers.
2016 Winternship Activities List Winternship 2016: Thatching Winternship 2016: Week 1 2015 Winternship Outline & Schedule Winternship 2015 Blog & Pics Pictures below are from previous years’ adventures.