Jacob, Tanya, Niklas, Jameela & A’alia !
Here is what we accomplished together !
Hobaddition & Courtyard area
- Install S window and door wall
- Plaster interior walls with Earth Plaster.
- Light Clay & Straw infill over door wall
- Cob around windows and doors on south side of Hobaddition.
- Screens attached between the rafters on the Green Roof for ventilation.
- Clerestory triangle in-filled with green bottles and cob earthen mix,
- Applied finish earth plaster to Sauna exterior wall in west courtyard
- Wattle & Daub infill around the Rumford Fireplace Pipe in the Cob Garden Wall.
- Added layers of soil to the Hobaddition roof. Rotted wood, straw, horse compost.
- Transferred plants from Sauna to Hobaddition Living roof.
- Build East Loft
- Build and insulate E wall with cob bricks & purlite
- Rocket Stove set up. Cob around stove & the bench.
- Oak & Oat ridge. Cut, split logs, shaped with a hatchet or machete,
- drilled hole & assembled with wire.
October: Jacob stayed on, and with Gene Vilenni & Deanne the following was finished: Main sides of Oak & Oat Ridge thatched cap. Made infinity pillows and straw slugs, and assembled all on the roof to make a new ridge cap. Fixed door details & staining details. Plastic on all windows to close the building in. Install and stabilize Rocket Stove chimney.
- Round Pole Demo
- Dig Earth from pipeline and bring to site. Sift to 1/2,” ¼” & 1/8” for different uses.
- Mix Base and Finish Earth Plasters
- Make Cob mixes and Cob Bricks.
- Chopped and split wood
- Gene Vilenni taught wood construction using power tools
- Spoon and Knife Carving
Gardening / Food ~
- Pizza in the Earth Oven, make the dough and sauce
- Soaked and harvested Shiitake Mushroom logs.
- Harvested, sliced and dehydrated tomatoes & vegies.
- Gathered eggs from Dave & Dorinda’s Farm
- Jason makes Pita Bread and Artisan Bread. Deanne teaches Sour Dough Wraps
- Lots of great meals, shared cooking.
CLASS in DESIGNING a small home.
- Hay bale stacking in Dave & Dorinda’s barn, helping them with their newly harvested hay bales from their field
- Day of exploration in Detroit.
- Visit to Rennaisance Festival
- Jamella & A’alia visit the neighbor family, The Abbots and help harvest and can food from their garden.
- Permaculture Meetup
- Full Moon Potluck.
- Monitored and measured Waterfall levels.
- Final Ceremony. Bonfires, Drums, guitar music